A man tagged by police as the most wanted carnapper in Ceby City came out of hiding and turned himself in to an official of Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) on Friday, June 3.
John Glen Arao-Arao traveled from Leyte, where he hid for two years to avoid arrest, to Cebu and presented himself to chief of CPPO’s Investigation and Detective Management Branch (IDMB) Superintendent Aileen Recla.
Arao-Arao, who is facing carnapping charges after he stole the jeepney-type vehicle of his older sister and sold it for P10,000 in 2014, said he feared for his life now that Duterte will be the next president.
“Nakulbaan ko kay si Duterte ra ba ang nidaog (I was scared because Duterte won the presidency),” he said in an interview at IDMB office.
“Nahadlok ko kay iya ra bang propaganda nga limpyohan ang Pilipinas (I got scared because his propaganda was to clean the Philippines from lawless elements),” he said, adding that he voted for Senator Grace Poe because he is scared of Duterte.
Arao-Arao was the second wanted person to surrender to authorities in Cebu City, according to Ador Vincent Mayol of .
Raymart Conahap, an alleged hitman from Barangay Carreta, Cebu City, went to the police headquarters on Wednesday, June 1, and surrendered to Supt. Michael Bastes, chief of the City Intelligence Branch.
Conahap, wanted for killing a man last year, said he surrendered to the police because he wanted to change his life.
Supt. Aileen Recla said she believed some criminals feared the Duterte presidency and the anti-crime program of Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña that rewards policemen and civilians with P50,000 for every criminal they could kill.
“Now, two fugitives surrendered. I think that would be the trend now. I urge other fugitives to come into the open so they could clear their names. It’s definitely hard to keep on hiding themselves from the arms of the law,” Recla said.